hRecipe gives you fast, efficient recipe formatting…
with an SEO advantage. Your recipes look good,
and people searching for recipes are attracted to
Google Rich Snippet recipe display, which can mean
better clickthrough to your blog.
Make sure to stop by the hRecipe home page: Food Blogging and Recipe SEO
Each of the following people have donated to help hRecipe to continue development:
- Tamara R
- Commercial sponsorship from Yummly dot com. Thanks guys!
- Theresa Carle-Sanders http://islandvittles.com
- Susan Voisin http://http://sbvdesigns.com/ and http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
- Anon: http://transcriptionconnections.com/
- Anne Bender: http://annebender.com/
- Branson Sparks: http://bransonsparks.com/
- Lizzy R: http://mpdcooks.com/
This is a partial list of translators.
- Roberto Koci http://robertokoci.com/ for the Hungarian translation.
- Rene from WP Web Shop sent in a native Dutch translation.
- Russian translation courtesy of Fat Cow web hosting
- Jean-Philippe Daigle sent in the French translation http://friendfeed.com/jpdaigle
- Danish translation coming from http://www.kokkekniven.com/ Kristian Petersen
- Thanks to Carsten Peters http://www.rodrigues-peters.com/ for Brazilian Portuguese and German translations.
I know there are more. If you weren’t listed, contact me, I’ll add you in.
Note: I was contacted in October 2011 by the plugin team at Automattic
and requested to remove a specific translation link. Automattic is
concerned that translations are being provided to obtained valuable
As a result, I’m delinking all commercial links from the hRecipe
plugin. If your company provided a translation and you want it
removed as a result, I’ll be happy to do that, just let me.
- Anu Kumar of the The Spicy Yatra sent some options coding for Vietnamese and Marathi cuisine.
How hRecipe benefits you
The magic happens using „microformats,“ technology
invisible to you, but friendly to search engines.
The hRecipe plugin shows a popup windows with text fields and text
areas that allow the author to conveniently enter the various parts of
the hRecipe microformat, then inserts a formatted recipe into the page
or post. The formatting has the hRecipe class specifications.
There is a growing list of options to control how your recipes
- Ingredients lists formatting can be either by number or by bullet point.
- The background color of the formatted recipe can be specified to match or offset the background color of the enclosing web page.
- The display text for many sections of recipes may be specified.
- International support is growing rapidly.
You can help!
There’s lots of ways to help make hRecipe exactly what
you need for beautiful, fast, accurate recipe display
on your WordPress blog. Contributing to open source
software is easy and fun. Check out these
contributors to hRecipe.
Do you need something hRecipe doesn’t have?
Request a feature.
Find a bug?
Report it here.
hRecipe has been translated into several languages,
including Spanish, Danish, French, Portuguese and others.
Help translate hRecipe into your language.
Don’t like the current layout and styling?
Make the changes you need into hrecipe.css
and send it in.
We’ll code your changes as options for display,
and distribute it along with credit (links!) for your
contribution. Seriously, a selection of styles would
There is A LOT that could done with the hRecipe plugin. The surface has barely been scratched. If you have a particular itch you want scratched, say something, we’ll see about making it happen.
Coding (and styling) review
hRecipe would really benefit from a code review, especially from a
PHP/WordPress expert. The primary concern right now is ensuring that
author if you would to like to help by reading through the code.
- no1troca for the new Swedish translation.
- Russian translation courtesy of Fat Cow Web Hosting.
- Anu Kumar of The Spicy Yatra sent some options coding for Vietnamese and Marathi cuisine.
- Jean-Philippe Daigle sent in the French translation.
- Danish translation from Kristian Petersen.
- Thanks to Carsten Peters http://www.rodrigues-peters.com/ for Brazilian Portuguese and German translations.
Should you be on this list? Contact me and let me know.
- For more information, check out the hRecipe Plugin for WordPress homepage.
Unzip the plugin into your wp-content/plugins/ directory. It should
automatically create an hrecipe/ subdirectory.
In your WordPress admin page, go to the Plugins section and
Activate the „hRecipe“ plugin.
When you go to „Write Post“ or „Write Page“, click on the knife and fork icon
to pop-up a simple form. (Or hRecipe button for text formatting)
Fill in the fields of the form.
Click Insert and the contents of the fields will be inserted into
the page or post you were composing, but marked up using the hRecipe
- Why would I want to use hRecipe?
When your recipes are displayed on your blog using the hRecipe
microformat, it makes it very easy for search engines to find and do
special things with them.
- What is a microformat?
A microformat is a way of using CSS styles to add
semantic information to web pages. The style not only directs
how the information is displayed, but what kind of informatiin
There are different microformats for different types of
information. This plugin uses the hRecipe microformat for recipe type
information. For more information, see to the main microformats site.
- Do microformats improve SEO?
Yes and no.
According to Google, microformatting your recipe
will not improve your search ranking, by itself.
It’s not a magic bullet, you still have to do the
plain old SEO work you normally do.
However, when you’re doing SEO right, many people have
reported that having their recipes displayed as Rich
Snippets improves their search results.
Microformatting may not improve your ranking but,
microformatting will probably improve your results.
Think of microformatting as leverage.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Þátttakendur & höfundar
“hRecipe” er opinn hugbúnaður. Eftirfarandi aðilar hafa lagt sitt af mörkum við smíði þessarar viðbótar.Höfundar
- More unit testing for recipe formatting.
- Updated Quicktags code for WP 3.3 improvements.
- Updated the hrecipe options dashboard css to leverage native WP styling.
- Recipe entry form now routed through native WP media box functions, resulting in less code for hrecipe and better future proofing. An annoying undefined index problem was solved with this as well.
- Many small code cleanups committed.
- Application layout restructuring to put files in appropriate places.
- Blunder: Forgot to add
hrecipe_launch.jsto repository for 0.5.9.0. Now added.
- Moved css styling into for entry navigation into editor css file.
- Removed custom styling for thickbox tabs in favor of WP-builtin. Looks the same, easier to maintain.
- localized page hook to get postbox handling into UJS.
- Change class
recipeType, which is supported by rich snippets.
- Fixed a css problem where hrecipe
div.insidewas overriding WP native css. Thanks to Tom Coady (http://web-tart.co.uk/) for pointing this out and suggesting the fix.
- Added nutrition information with calories, fat and protein.
- User-derived custom css now works.
- Closing donations for now, will reopen later.
- Added some padding before and after the hrecipe div block to help with TinyMCE visual editor
- Fixed a postbox handling bug
- Source cleanup, removed superfluous functions, obsolete commented out sections, etc.
- Extended options handling to save existing user options and merge with newly defined options.
- Better descriptions added for readme and plugin source file.
- New screenshots explaining new data entry one per line for ingredients and instructions.
- Settings link now fixed to work from Plugins page.
- Default options loading now fixed.
- Split duration into preparation and cooking time for better Google Rich Snippets
- Removed alert
- Big rewrite on the options page handling code.
- Instructions list formatting bug fixed.
- Updated recipe entry UI thickbox, 3 pages instead of 4, insert on every page.
- Added http://yummly.com to supporters list, first commercial supporter.
- Add Theresa Carle-Sanders (http://islandvittles.com) to supporters list.
- Closed the ul in the new feed creator.
- Fixed a bad assignment:
if ($rss = fetch_feed(...))This anti-pattern was copied from a famous plugin developer.
- Added Susan Voisin http://http://sbvdesigns.com/ and http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ to supporters
- Updated from rss to simplepie feed reader
- Fixed index error associated with null index in GET for donation support
- Updated css to match current WordPress media popup for tabs, much cleaner now
- Synchronised bottom button navigation with sidemenu tabs
- Reorganized the bottom button navigation
- Many miscellaneous little cleanups, check the diffs for details
- Scripting cleanup including s/$/jQuery/ and enqueueing script with variables now localized.
- Changed Plugin URI to point to http://hrecipe.com/
- Spiffy new icon for visual editor
- Fixed a broken link for http://annebender.com
- Donation from http://transcriptionconnection.com/
- Added icons for various RSS feeds in the admin interface.
- Started http://recip.ly integration.
- hRecipe formatting now displays properly in Google Rich Snippets. Thanks to Michael Allen Smith for investigating ad proposing a fix. (Credits coming.)
- Reworked the administration interface, postbox toggled and dragging now work
- Added news feeds, thanks yoast.com!
- Forgot, will need to look at revision history.
- Fixed path typo
- Restructured WordPress options table handling.
- Fixed „Tested up to:“ tag.
- Added Italian translation courtesy of Manuel Seschi (Scrumptious: http://www.ghiottone.org/)
- More cleanups.
- Removed hrecipeinput.php and hrecipe_options.php, this code has been moved to view.
* Fixed Stable tag for release.
- Integrated inheritance from plugin base class using Redirection code.
- Added Paypal donate button.
- Added options page screen icon.
- Extensive updates for readme.txt
- All new screenshots
- Swedish translation from no1troca (no link given).
- Updated hRecipe web pages.
- Added more help text in the options page.
- Added options for Variations.
- Added a load of text formatting options
- Separated style, structure and labeling.
- Added Quick Notes section.
- Changed from image stars to html char stars. These can be styled with css.
- Commented out FirePHP code until it’s bracketed for conditional execution.
- Fixed a php variable bug.
- Cleaned up css handling, more modern now.
- Added Settings link to plugin entry.
- Default enclosure is now a
div> element rather than a
fieldset> element. User option for choosing is implemented. Text for „Instructions“ is now a user option.
* Anu Kumar of the (The Spicy Yatra: http://thespiceyatra.com) sent some options coding for Vietnamese and Marathi cuisine.
* Cleanup on the hRecipe options page. Split structure and styling into different sections.
* Started adding help text toggles on admin page.
* Russian translation courtesy of (Fat Cow web hosting: http://www.fatcow.com).
- Moved options html to hrecipe_otions.php to clean up base file.
- Added activation/deactivation hooks, moved initialization calls.
- Implemented hrecipe php class.
- Added author byline field
- New Changelog system implemented in readme.txt
- Internationalization (i18n) implemented
- Brazilian Portuguese (Thanks to Carsten Peters: http://www.rodrigues-peters.com/)
- German (Thanks to Carsten Peters: http://www.rodrigues-peters.com/)
- French (Thanks to Jean-Philippe Daigle: http://friendfeed.com/jpdaigle)
- Refactored formatting code.
- hRecipe Link Love added as option on admin page.
- Copyright field added to options
- Worked out new parameter passing scheme in backend
- added Yield as „Number of Servings“
- Fixed css path issue, added cooking time.
- admin footer credit deleted, too obnoxious
- See plugin home page
- Ingredients list may be formatted using bullets or numnbers
- diet type (vegetarian, vegan, etc) added
- admin footer credit added.
- Added „Meal type“ field
- fixed some problems in the css file.
- Fixed path issue for rating stars.
Worked out procedure for moving stable into tagged branch instead of trunk.
- Fixed recipe label in editor.
- Changed enclosing block to fieldset element.
- Added „Culinary Tradition“ selection.
- Initial release